==> DoD Player: Join the Homestuck group.
- Click the giant link, or this copy of the giant link: Join the Homestuck group.
- Click Request to Join Group in the top right corner.
- Wonder why the hell it takes longer than 24 hours to approve you. The answer is we get busy and still need more mods. If it’s been 24 hours and you want in nowwww, send an Ask.
==> FAQ: Summarize.
- You have to like Homestuck.
- You can draw anything (not just Homestuck).
[==> Jump to examples.]
- Don’t be a dick. No hate, no chainbreaking, draw something.
[==> Jump to examples.]
If your request to join was refused, make sure you have actually drawn some steps, and that the last few pages of steps follow the rules. We have to frisk everyone for hate and chainbreaking on the way in.
*** We are recruiting moderators. Inquire within.***
==> Player: Actually read the long version.
Welcome to the Homestuck group. The only membership requirement is that you like Homestuck.
Please help spread the word among other Homestuck DoD players. (Here’s one rebloggable way and you’re free to copy that text or link to other sites.)
Awesome funtimes things to draw
Drawings and descriptions do not have to be specifically Homestuck to belong here! We’ve all had fun interpreting vague descriptions as Homestuck themes and vice versa. If every description down the line is “Karkat,” that won’t make very interesting chains.
Examples of great vague descriptions:
- My favorite character is in an unfortunate situation.
- Wait. That was not supposed to happen.
- Aw, somebody needs a hug.
- An unidentified flying object.
- What time is it?
- This stuff is delicious.
Similarly, you can draw something that you know can be easily twisted into Homestuck (let’s be honest; that’s just about anything) and the next person can pick up the bait.
More Homestuck-specific great descriptions:
- A beautiful hate-wedding.
- T)(is is so ———-EXCITING!!!!
- dude thii2 ii2nt funny.
- Flip it turnwise!
- Put. The bunny. Back. In. The. BOX!
- Tumblr right after an update.
- A fantroll on a magical adventure.
Scribbles in uu’s art style are fine, if they’re actually a uu drawing of the previous description. If you manage to smother the entire group in vague scribbles, this policy may be revoked. Use your judgment.
Crossovers with other fandoms are fantastic:
- Mario finds himself in the Land of Wind and Shade.
- Rose Lalonde as Twilight Sparkle.
Other-fandom or meme references without a Homestuck element are fine and add variety; we’ll just twist it back! However, if you want all-PokeSuperWhoLock-all-the-time, take it somewhere else.
The following is so completely illegal.
If you see these things, hit the report button to tell the mods!
Use your skips or take a break if you are tempted to do these things. If you do them too often, you will be banned from the memo and fed to Spidermom.
Hate: Don’t be a dick. (Report as offensive)
- "your ship sucks"
- "your fantroll sucks"
- "homestuck sucks"
- racist slurs or caricatures (not even “friendly” use of n*****)
- homophobic or misogynist slurs except as used in-character (“dumb homo tool” and “bluh bluh huge bitch” get a pass)
- other hate speech at mod discretion
Chainbreaking: Connect to the previous step. (Report as chainbreaking)
- "idk!!! afljs;dfhkd" / "I have no idea."
- "Off-topic, draw Doc Scratch instead"
- describing Dirk as “KarkatxNepeta”
- "An amazing drawing" (That doesn’t help the next player draw it!)
- "I won’t draw that" / "I already drew that"
- a drawing of a character saying “no”
- a blob of color just to get past the drawing.
Writing instead of drawing: If it’s a drawing step, actually draw something. It doesn’t have to be high art, but scrawling a text response to get past the drawing does not cut it. (Report as chainbreaking)
- Bad: repeating the words of a prompt instead of drawing
- Bad: responding to a prompt with just written words
- Okay: Writing as part of a drawing (dialogue, chatlog, signs, labels, narration)
- Okay: Word art (drawing of a neon sign or a word covered in bling)
Basically, remember this is a visual medium and give the next person something to describe.
Shipping DoD Police!
Remember to include your DoD name unless it’s exactly the same as your tumblr/twitter handle! For anon Asks, give an email address so I can reply with specifics. I will never give out a kicked DoD username or direct links to bad behavior in public without your permission.
Let the mods call you? If you keep a link in your DoD profile that allows us to contact you, we may give you a warning and a chance to clean up your act if you’re crossing the line. A warning is not guaranteed, but wouldn’t it be nice to have the option?
Oh crap, I totally chainbroke before. Two choices: draw a couple pages of good steps to show that you’ve reformed, or send an Ask telling us you know better now. We like people who can read a FAQ to the end and follow directions. Go and sin no more.
Due to some of the Wrong Kind Of Trolls, we must moderate the group and we can’t let in new players with very few drawings. Trust us, you don’t want these people rampaging through the session.
Mod announcements may be made on this Tumblr, tagged Doodle Or Die, now and then. They won’t be crucial, but you can click that there link to read them.
If you are interested in becoming a group moderator, get in touch. It’s pretty low-effort, but we need a few more regulars checking the queue.
If you ask about group moderation (or anything else) and don’t get any response, TUMBLR ATE IT. Please try again. We will respond if we see it. But if you’re anon, leave an email or something, duh.
Go forth and make weird art.
Tell your friends! Heck, if they’re into Homestuck and play DoD, tell your enemies. The bigger the group, the better the variety. Let’s get this party started.